Fri, 19 Aug 2022

Ex-Saints player Glenn Foster Jr. dies after arrest in Alabama

Field Level Media
08 Dec 2021, 09:55 GMT+10

Former New Orleans Saints defensive end Glenn Foster Jr. died Monday, two days after his arrest in Alabama. He was 31.

According to WWL in New Orleans, Foster's family and authorities said his death occurred after a high-speed police chase ending with a crash, a jail fight and the inability to receive medical help.

The death remained under investigation on Tuesday while an autopsy was pending, the Pickens County Medical Examiner Coroner's Office told the television station.

The Pickens County Sheriff's Office -- where Foster was in custody -- referred questions to the Alabama State Bureau of Investigation.

Foster's parents told WWL that they believe life-saving care wasn't provided for their son. The parents told the station their son might have experienced a mental health episode.

"We want justice for our son," said Glenn Foster Sr., Foster's father. "It's unfair. It's inhumane. It's just not right."

Jail records show Foster was in custody in Pickens County. Foster's record was updated later to show a release time of Tuesday afternoon, after his passing. According to the records, he was booked for the second time on Sunday at 3:16 p.m. on three counts of simple assault and one count of robbery.

When he was first booked into the same jail early Saturday morning, it was on charges of reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and attempting to elude police.

Reform (Ala.) Police Department chief Richard Black told WWL his officers spotted Foster driving at speeds up to 90 mph in a 45 mph zone. A chase ensued and Foster eventually ran over a spike strip and crashed into a few cars and a business. Foster was then involved in a "minor tussle" with officers.

Foster's family disclosed their son has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and it was agreed that the family would pay bail and take him approximately 90 miles to a hospital in Birmingham for evaluation. But when Foster's family and Black showed up at the jail, there was a delay.

"We went to bond him out and something happened at the jail and they wouldn't let us get him," Black said. "I really don't know medically what was going on, but based on what I learned, it was not normal."

Foster's father saw an ambulance arrive and asked if it was for his son. He said he was told the ambulance was there because Foster's son had fought with another detainee and two prison guards.

Foster's father said he later learned that deputies at some point drove his son in a patrol cruiser to a hospital and that he was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Foster's mother, Sabrina Foster, was not happy about the events, telling WWL, "I can't get my son back, but we want whoever is responsible to pay for this."

Glenn Foster's place of residence was listed as Baton Rouge, La.

Foster was born in Chicago and played college football at Illinois. An undrafted free agent, he signed with the Saints in appeared in 17 total games over the 2013 and 2014 seasons. He recorded eight tackles, three sacks and seven quarterback hits.

The Saints cut him before the 2015 season. reported he began a second career as a real estate agent, developer and contractor. He owned a countertop business with two retail locations.

"I really can't find the words to properly express," Foster's former Saints teammate Terron Armstead wrote on Twitter. "Rest in peace Glenn Foster, you'll be missed bro!"

--Field Level Media

More United States News

Access More

Sign up for United States News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!