Fernando Verdasco said Friday that he was disqualified from the French Open due to what he believes was a false positive on a COVID-19 test.
In a statement posted to Twitter in Spanish, Verdasco said the positive test occurred Tuesday after he arrived in Paris for the tournament at Roland Garros. He said he since tested three more times unofficially at different testing centers with each coming back negative.
The 36-year-old Spaniard said French Open officials refused to test him a second time.
"I want to communicate my total frustration and outrage with the organization of Roland Garros, for taking away my right to participate in this important event without even giving me the opportunity to take another test with a new sample to confirm that the result of the first could be an error," Verdasco wrote.
Verdasco said he had the coronavirus in August and was asymptomatic. He said he has been tested multiple times since and been negative every time, including for last week's tournament stop in Rome.
Verdasco had played in 67 straight Grand Slam tournaments until missing the recent U.S. Open.
He has been rated as high as No. 7 in his career with that lofty ranking occurring in 2009. He is currently ranked 58th.
Main-draw play at the French Open begins Sunday.
--Field Level Media