Wed, 02 Dec 2020

A woman holds a Lebanese national flag near the Beirut port in Beirut, Lebanon, on Sept. 4, 2020. (Xinhua/Bilal Jawich)

"Highly dangerous" containers still exist at Beirut's port, Lebanese official says.

BEIRUT, Sept. 24 (Xinhua) -- Lebanon's chairman of the parliament's public works and transport committee Nazih Najem said Thursday that there are 49 "highly dangerous" containers at Beirut's port, Elnashra news website reported.

"Some of these containers have been at the port since 2009 and they have been neglected since then," Najem said, adding that investigations must be conducted to check why these containers have not been removed until this moment from the port.

Two huge explosions rocked Beirut's port on Aug. 4, destroying a big part of the city and causing damage with a cost estimated at over 15 billion U.S. dollars.

More United States News

Access More

Sign up for United States News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!