Wed, 27 May 2020

Namajunas reportedly withdraws from UFC 249

Field Level Media
09 Apr 2020, 12:55 GMT+10

Ex-UFC women's strawweight champ Rose Namajunas withdrew from a spot in the scheduled co-main event of UFC 249, multiple media outlets reported Wednesday.

Namajunas (8-4-0) was due to fight Jessica Andrade (20-7-0) on April 18 at a site that has yet to be announced. No reason for her exit was reported.

The UFC could look for a replacement to oppose Andrade, a 28-year-old Brazilian.

Andrade's manager, Tiago Okamura, said in a statement sent to MMA Fighting, "We'll fight anyone. Flyweight, bantamweight, featherweight. Whatever it is, we're in. We won't go back home without a fight."

Namajunas, a 27-year-old Milwaukee native, last fought at UFC 237 in May 2019, when she was knocked out by Andrade in the second round of a strawweight title bout. Andrade subsequently absorbed a TKO loss to China's Zhang Weili in August 2019.

UFC 249 is still scheduled to be topped by Tony Ferguson (25-3-0) and Justin Gaethje (21-2-0) battling for the interim lightweight championship. Former NFL defensive end Greg Hardy (5-2-0) is slated to oppose Yorgan de Castro (6-0-0) in a heavyweight fight.

The card originally was due to be held at Barclays Center in New York before that plan was scrapped due to the coronavirus pandemic.

ESPN reported Wednesday that UFC 249 is likely to be held on a Native American reservation in California.

UFC president Dana White said earlier this week that UFC 249 would be held at a U.S. location. He also said that he acquired use of a private island as a site for the company's upcoming fight cards featuring international fighters who can't get to the United States, though that location would not be used for UFC 249.

--Field Level Media

More United States News

Access More

Sign up for United States News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!